In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Blue Hill Historical Society

East Blue Hill Granite Quarry, ca. 1900

Contributed by Blue Hill Historical Society
MMN Item 33627 Item Details
East Blue Hill Granite Quarry, ca. 1900
MMN Item 33627 Zoom

Description

Running along the east side of Blue Hill Harbor, glaciers left exposed a rich vein of blue-gray granite. In the early part of the nineteenth century, the stone was prized for the construction of bridges and large buildings in fast-growing American cities.

By the mid-point of the nineteenth century, several quarries were active along East Blue Hill Road. This view shows about 40 workers at one of the quarry sites, along with a block and tackle hoist.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.