In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Blue Hill Historical Society

Clam Packing Factory and Steamboat Wharf, Blue Hill, ca. 1900

Contributed by Blue Hill Historical Society
MMN Item 33414 Item Details
Clam Packing Factory and Steamboat Wharf, Blue Hill, ca. 1900
MMN Item 33414 Zoom

Description

This clam packing factory was located at the wharf in South Blue Hill, an area of Blue Hill sometimes referred to as Blue Hill Falls. It packed clams and later sardines from 1898 until it burned in November 1920. According to accounts from local residents, the factory operated under several owners during this time -- including Louis Sullivan and Alvin T. Friend from 1898 to 1902; Thorndike and Hicks of Rockland in 1902-1903; Medbury Eaton in 1904 (operated by Louis Sullivan); and Farnsworth Packing Company beginning in 1905. Subsequent owners included the Sylvester Packing Company (owned by B. E. Sylvester) and J.B. Sylvester and Sons, who packed clams under the label "King of the Coast." Steamboats stopped at the wharf until 1928.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.