In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Blue Hill Historical Society

Blue Hill Inn, ca. 1900

Contributed by Blue Hill Historical Society
MMN Item 29336 Item Details
Blue Hill Inn, ca. 1900
MMN Item 29336 Zoom


This three story hotel on Tenney Hill was built by George Stover in 1892. William R. Emerson, a proponent of the "Shingle Style", was the architect. There were 34 bedrooms. It had electric lights 22 years before electric power reached the town of Blue Hill. Steamboats were met by carriages from the hotel. Available activities included tennis, buckboard rides to Caterpiller Hill and Castine, sailing parties in Blue Hill Bay and dancing in the evening to the hotel's own orchestra. The property went through a series of owners and finally closed after the season of 1924. It burned to the ground on May, 19, 1933.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.